The area of Tirano is a treasure chest of flavours
Tirano, located in the heart of the Alps and a few kilometers from Switzerland. It has always been a natural crossroads of cultures, peoples, travellers and landscapes. Nestled in a diverse landscape, natural and cultivated, between apple orchards and vineyards arranged in terraces. Hence the birth of the famous Terraces of Valtellina, a heritage of rural culture, where the great wines of the Valtellina are produced. The typical cuisine plays a fundamental role for all tourism in Valtellina. You should try the typical dishes such as Pizzoccheri, Chiscioei, Sciatt and bresaola and local products.
Tirano is home to the only Basilica in the province of Sondrio. On 29 September 1504 the apparition of the Madonna to Blessed Mario Omodei was recorded. The Sanctuary of the Blessed Virgin, an important example of Renaissance art in Valtellina, was thus built. A perfect harmony of lines and styles, with its three Latin cross aisles, the large bell tower and the sixteenth-century dome. Inside you can also admire stuccoes, sculptures, carvings and the majestic organ with its 2200 pipes, one of the largest in Europe.
Bernina Red Train
Tirano is the ideal starting point for walks and excursions on foot or by bike and is also the terminus of the famous "Trenino Rosso del Bernina", UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2008. From vineyards to glaciers, the route is unique in the world as it is one of the highest railways in the Alps with one of the steepest natural adhesions in the world. Enchanting journey on a red train, almost a small toy among the majestic and changing mountain landscapes.
The highlights of the trip are:
- the helical viaduct of Brusio, a true masterpiece of engineering, where the train overcomes a difference in height of about 30 meters in a confined space.
- The ancient village of Poschiavo and its lake
- Cavaglia where it is possible to visit the naturalistic park of the Gardens of the Glaciers
- -Alp Gruem, the most panoramic point of the entire route
- -Ospizio Bernina, white lake and black lake. Highest station of the entire Rhaetian Railway and language border (Italian to the south, German and Romansh to the north). Recommended stop for the hike Ospizio Bernina -Alp Gruem 1h30/2h,
- Bernina Diavolezza, cable car that reaches the refuge at 2973 mt.
- Morteratsch, stop at the glacier. About an hour's walk from the station
- Pontresina, a popular holiday resort. From here you can follow a pedestrian path until you reach St. Moritz, about 1h30/2h of journey or cross the Roseg Valley, on foot, by mountain bike or by horse-drawn carriages.
- St. Moritz, not by chance named "Top Of The World" famous tourist resort, sports and host of many social and cultural events.
Tirano by bike
For lovers of cycling you can take different types of paths. The most peaceful and ideal for families is the Sentiero Valtellina, which runs along the river Adda and connects the whole of Valtellina. Mostly flat, there are numerous rest areas along its entire length with games for children and spaces for pleasant picnics. In mountain biking we recommend the "Five Crazy Down" five spectacular trails surrounded by nature. For the more daring you can reach the Mortirolo, the Bernina Pass and the Stelvio Pass.